Our offices in Philadelphia escaped unscathed in Hurricane Sandy, but many were not as fortunate. The resulting impact of the storm left our team anxious to help those who were more seriously affected.
We think of the United By Blue community as any area where we have retailers or host cleanup and we are doing our part to help victims in our community.
You can help us in 2 ways:
- Volunteer with UBB on Relief and Cleanup - We are coordinating several efforts over the next few months to help the communities affected by Sandy. Our first event was on Sunday, November 11th in Ocean City, NJ. You can read more about that here. Our next effort will be on Saturday December, 1st in New York. For more details or to sign up, click here.
- Buy the After Sandy tee and hoodie - 100% of proceeds go towards relief and cleanup of the affected areas. The products are organic cotton and made in USA. Click the links below to show your support!
About the AFTER Sandy Initiative
Over the past 3 years, United By Blue has organized and hosted over 80 beach and waterway cleanups across the United States. Through these efforts we have picked up over 141,000 pounds of trash working with 2,334 volunteers. But when Hurricane Sandy hit with unprecedented destruction to the east coast, we knew we had to do something to help with not only the cleanup efforts, but the relief efforts as well. That's why we have spearheaded a program that provides direct and meaningful cleanup and relief efforts to the areas that need them most.
Here's how the program works:
- United By Blue has designed and is selling a line of organic apparel called AFTER Sandy. 100% of the proceeds from the sale of these t-shirts and hoodie directly supports the cleanup and relief of areas impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
- In conjunction with the sale of the AFTER Sandy apparel, UBB is organizing and hosting 3 volunteer cleanup efforts throughout the impacted region. These cleanup efforts include helping residents clean out their damaged properties, shoveling sand, delivering supplies, picking up trash, and anything else that needs to be done in order to help people recover. Proceeds from the sale of the AFTER Sandy products support the cleanup efforts by paying for the direct costs associated with these efforts. Although donations are accepted when appropriate, cleanup efforts incur costs such as transportation, food, supplies, and volunteer recruitment expenses. The time costs associated with UBB employees involvement with this program is not being supported by this program, these costs are being donated by UBB.
- Additional proceeds generated from the sale of the AFTER Sandy products will be allocated to the purchase and distribution of needed supplies to the people impacted by the storm.